Jeremiah175
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 50857
United States
07/13/2006 07:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Religious violence: Illegitimate claims of Christian aggression
This thread was inspired by the discussion of violence and religion in another thread. Specifically at issue is the comparison of Christian violence such as the Salem witch trials and whatnot with other forms of religious oppression and violence. I think part of the issue, at least for me, when the Christian religion is bashed is that it is done under a false pretext. Jesus never taught that one should or directed anyone to commit physical violence against anyone, anywhere, at any time. The violence found in Christian history has all occured outside of anything prescribed by Christ Jesus or his disciples. Christ sanctions no caste system, requires no oppressive legalism up to and including the diet or attire of his followers, and above all speaks directly against physical violence.

Thoughts?
www.thebreach.us
Grizzled Old Goat

User ID: 116588
Canada
07/13/2006 07:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Religious violence: Illegitimate claims of Christian aggression
I agree that Jesus did not sanction violence, and his "commandment" is the Golden Rule. Christianity has been hijacked many times though, co-opted to assist in colonization, used as a political tool, including the slaughter of whole civilisations, and inflicted cruel tortures, ie the Inquisition. Fascist religious fundamentalism is nothing new, militant Islam is only the latest version, but wildly anachronistic, even unreal in this day and age. Christianity not only is complicit in terrible crimes from long ago - the Churches have a lot of work to do to get their houses in order even today. Christianity practiced according to Jesus would be as simple as applying the Golden Rule at all times. But how many Christians do that?
HeidiLore

User ID: 85208
United States
07/13/2006 07:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
As the person who brought it up, I will say I honestly don't believe Jesus would advocate such punishment. These people who killed in the name of Christianity are NOT true Christians.
Visit my website...

[link to heidi-lore.tripod.com]

Need to email? [email protected]

Visit the GLP video site and click on groups:

[link to youtube.com]

The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door. That's the only difference.

I believe I can see the future, 'cause I repeat the same routine. I think I used to have a purpose, but then again, it might have been a dream
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2298
United States
07/13/2006 07:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
There is plenty of justification for agression and violence in the Bible, including the fact that Jesus is only the Son, and the God the Father is in charge and has advocated violence many times in the Bible, enough so that the Catholic and Protestant churches never had any problem torturing and burning unbelievers ("sinners") or declaring war on other countries, or wiping out the primitive natives of many distant lands, and thinking it was what God would want. The Son is obviously a nice kind boy, but he is a wimp. God the Father is in charge, and he'd make his boy shape up and kill too, so as not to be an embarrassment to him. I'm sure that's how a lot of the Church leaders have felt about that Son Jesus. And he did show some gumption when he said "I came not to bring peace but a sword." That's bound to put a proud gleam in their eye. That boy's gonna be alright, yeah.
Kay

User ID: 72054
United States
07/13/2006 08:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
Amen.

1What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? 2You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. 3When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.
"See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ." (Colossians 2:8)
AC25
User ID: 116604
New Zealand
07/13/2006 08:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
Many Muslims say the same thing...that the violence is not Islam.

My answer to both..yeah right....

It wasn't so many years ago that "Christians" were doing things similar to what the Muslims are doing now. Think of the Inqusition. Torture and slaughter of thousands of innocents.

To say that they weren't following Jesus is ..duh.. They were self professed Christians.. the Church its self.

Christianity is not just the teachings of Jesus.. it is the whole mishmash of Judaesim, Paul/Saul, "tradition", and massive borrowing from earlier religions. rant
Jeremiah175  (OP)

United States
07/13/2006 08:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
There is plenty of justification for agression and violence in the Bible, including the fact that Jesus is only the Son, and the God the Father is in charge and has advocated violence many times in the Bible, enough so that the Catholic and Protestant churches never had any problem torturing and burning unbelievers ("sinners") or declaring war on other countries, or wiping out the primitive natives of many distant lands, and thinking it was what God would want. The Son is obviously a nice kind boy, but he is a wimp. God the Father is in charge, and he'd make his boy shape up and kill too, so as not to be an embarrassment to him. I'm sure that's how a lot of the Church leaders have felt about that Son Jesus. And he did show some gumption when he said "I came not to bring peace but a sword." That's bound to put a proud gleam in their eye. That boy's gonna be alright, yeah.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 2298

A poor reading of scripture raises hell. Christ no more meant a literal sword than he literally meant some ought to cut off their hand or pluck out their eye.
www.thebreach.us
Jeremiah175  (OP)

United States
07/13/2006 08:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
Many Muslims say the same thing...that the violence is not Islam.

My answer to both..yeah right....

It wasn't so many years ago that "Christians" were doing things similar to what the Muslims are doing now. Think of the Inqusition. Torture and slaughter of thousands of innocents.

To say that they weren't following Jesus is ..duh.. They were self professed Christians.. the Church its self.

Christianity is not just the teachings of Jesus.. it is the whole mishmash of Judaesim, Paul/Saul, "tradition", and massive borrowing from earlier religions. rant
 Quoting: AC25 116604

As I said, Christ never taught violence, which is really the crux of the point. I suppose however that anyone with an agenda or an axe to grind could protest much, and they often do.
www.thebreach.us
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 79718
United States
07/13/2006 08:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
"blow them all away in the name of the lord" - Jerry Falwell, CNN 2005 (Jerry falwell has an estimated 20 million christian followers)
Anonymous Coward
United States
07/13/2006 08:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
jerry Falwell. - now there is a true Christian.
Anonymous Coward
United States
07/13/2006 10:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
Who will be happier when Armageddon happens? Jesus or God?

GLP