Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Marines plan urban exercises
Marines plan urban exercises
Petersburg, two other cities will be used in simulated missions

BY PETER BACQUE
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Sep 23, 2006

The Marines will be using Blackstone, Petersburg and Hopewell as training aids starting next week.

About 600 Marines and sailors will make four training forays into the communities over a week's time.

Residents may see Marines, armed Humvees and combat helicopters during the evening exercises, which the unit has coordinated with state, local and federal authorities, said Capt. Will Klumpp, a Marine spokesman.

The public might also hear gunfirelike sounds.

Each of the evening missions will involve fewer than 200 Marines, last less than two hours and be finished by 11 p.m., Klumpp said.

"The exercise will include a significant number of low-flying helicopters and other sights and sounds associated with military activity," the Marines said in a statement yesterday.

But, the Marines said, "It is important for residents to know that the exercise is no cause for alarm."

The 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, out of Camp Lejeune, N.C., will be training to operate in urban environments its members could encounter abroad.

Without warning, the unit's Marines will be thrown into real-world-type missions -- such as a hostage rescue or an attack on a terrorist target -- that they will have to plan for quickly and conduct on the fly.

To add realism, contractors will play the roles of Middle Easterners in the exercise scenarios, Klumpp said in a telephone interview from Fort Pickett.

"The Marines will be engulfed in the culture they might be involved in overseas," he said. "It's more than going to a [rifle] range and firing weapons."

From Thursday through Oct. 5, the expeditionary unit will encamp at Fort Pickett, where most of its 2,200 members will be doing other forms of training, Klumpp said.

The Marines said they will make every effort to let residents around the urban training sites know when they will be in the area.

And "local law enforcement will be on hand to help ensure civilians do not inadvertently enter a training area," the Marines' statement said.

The Marines and the Army have long conducted similar urban exercises in the area.

The unit trained in the Richmond-Petersburg area in 1993, "so Marines are not strangers," Klumpp said.

The urban exercise is part of six months' training the 26th is undergoing as it readies to deploy in early 2007 with the Navy's Norfolk-based Bataan Strike Group.

New Orleans, Atlanta, Dayton Ohio, Jacksonville and Savannah, Ga., have recently hosted similar exercises.
Bolverk  (OP)

User ID: 88024
United States
09/25/2006 01:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Marines plan urban exercises
"To add realism, contractors will play the roles of Middle Easterners in the exercise scenarios, Klumpp said in a telephone interview from Fort Pickett."

Can you see some local redneck get all excited and actually shoot one of the "contractors"...lol
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." - John Bernard Books
Mr. PredictorModerator
Senior Forum Moderator

User ID: 83143
United States
09/25/2006 01:06 AM

Report Abusive Post
Detroit
"If there is a new fascism, it won't come from skinheads and punks; it will come from people who eat granola and think they know how the world should be." - Brian Eno
Dark Jester

User ID: 147501
United States
09/25/2006 01:11 AM
Report Abusive Post
Practicing for the real thing soon? Maybe they want people to get used to the drills and then one day it ISN'T a "drill" and it's Red List round ups? Just a thought...
Redheaded Stepchild nli
User ID: 142074
United States
09/25/2006 01:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
Good catch, OP.
Bolverk  (OP)

User ID: 88024
United States
09/25/2006 08:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
What's interesting is that these are really small towns in Virginia, and no one is even aware that this training exercise is going on. So far no one has been notified offically by the local governments. My friend lives in Petersburg and hadn't heard a word of this until I called. You would think that they would do a little more than a brief news article in the paper.

I can just imagine some of the hicks in town freaking out seeing some "actor" terrorist running around...lol.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." - John Bernard Books
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 76936
United States
09/25/2006 08:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
I had a store in a now-defunct little western ghost town (it was an old 1950s movie set). It was in a (then) remote, out of the way place. Before and after 9/11, soldiers did all kinds of exercises there. They didn't speak to us, we didn't speak to them. It was strange LOL. Interesting, but far from new. Just more out in the open.
Duncan Kunz

User ID: 147819
United States
09/25/2006 08:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
The Marines have been planning -- and carrying out -- these urban exercises since about 2002. Inasmuch as most of the combat we see now and expect to see in the future is in cities (since that's where the people live), urban combat is probably the best way to train.

Here's an article from 2001:
[link to ww2.pstripes.osd.mil]

I mean, doesn't anyone keep up with military news any more?
Where's the EVIDENCE, Jim?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 147062
United States
09/25/2006 08:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
no, who can blame them?
Anonymous Coward
United States
09/25/2006 08:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
hey dunc
is there any facet of the corporate-military-government complex that you DON'T support?
Prof-Rabbit

User ID: 147616
Australia
09/25/2006 08:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
holly shit..

now this is fucking disturbing...
 Quoting: ^TrInItY^

Anyone notice that you have a "planned exercise" the day before a real event?
You are a fluke of the universe.
You have no right to be here.
Whether you can hear it or not,
The universe is laughing behind your back

Deteriorata (National Lampoon)
Duncan Kunz

United States
09/25/2006 11:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
147062 says:

"hey dunc is there any facet of the corporate-military-government complex that you DON'T support?"

Yes, the war in Iraq, the entire imperialist foreign policy, the UnPatriot Act, defense contracts to Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman, and just about everything else Uncle Pig does.

But that doesn't mean I try to stay ignorant about what's going on.
Duncan Kunz

United States
09/25/2006 11:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
147062 says (in response to my "I mean, doesn't anyone keep up with military news any more?":

"no, who can blame them?"

Why should I blame someone who WANTS to be ignorant? Of course, when a person doesn't have a clue about somethig and starts spouting off about it, he may look a bit silly, but hey, that's his call, not mine.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 140243
United States
09/25/2006 11:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
147062 says:
But that doesn't mean I try to stay ignorant about what's going on.
 Quoting: Duncan Kunz

so, Dunk, you're saying that the Marines are going to publish, for the world to see, their every movement and intention?

You really think you're more "informed" by reading published "news" like this? What makes you think it's all true?

Perhaps these "exercises" are meant to condition US for more and more of these "exercises," OR, it is even meant to actually take into custody, people who are "Anti-American."

Most paranoids are usually anti social...it's not like anyone is going to miss them, with the exception of the glp crowd. So, who's going to question when the "nuts" are taken?

I classify you, Duncan, as a sleep walker...you are aware of your surroundings, yet you still live in the dream that was America. You still believe that it's all good...except for a few minor glitches.

Well, the cops can bust down your door without a warrant or take your money without a warrant or torture you as a terrorist or kidnap you off the street.

yep...we're so very free.
Duncan Kunz

United States
09/26/2006 12:11 AM
Report Abusive Post
140243 says:

"so, Dunk, you're saying that the Marines are going to publish, for the world to see, their every movement and intention?

You really think you're more "informed" by reading published "news" like this? What makes you think it's all true?"

Not at all. If you look back, some anonymous coward posted about the Marines doing urban warfare exercises as though it were something brand new, and several other people expressed all sort of alarm at this "new development"

All I did was to say that it wasn't new, as anyone who attempts to keep up with military news could tell you.

"Perhaps these 'exercises' are meant to condition US for more and more of these 'exercises,' OR, it is even meant to actually take into custody, people who are 'Anti-American.'"

Perhaps. But since the US military has been practicing various scenarios here in the United States ever since it's been in existence -- and they haven't wasted the American people YET -- I'd say that there's nothing now to suggest that all of a sudden they're planning a Huge Military Takeover.

"Most paranoids are usually anti social...it's not like anyone is going to miss them, with the exception of the glp crowd. So, who's going to question when the "nuts" are taken?"

I give up. The other nuts here on GLP, I suppose. Or maybe their families.

"I classify you, Duncan, as a sleep walker...you are aware of your surroundings, yet you still live in the dream that was America. You still believe that it's all good...except for a few minor glitches."

You may classify me any way you want to. Since I haven't the faintest idea who YOU are (nor do I care), I can't very well return the favor.

"Well, the cops can bust down your door without a warrant or take your money without a warrant or torture you as a terrorist or kidnap you off the street."

No argument there. Uncle Pig can do that stuff and he's never been more dangerous than he is right now.

If you had the faintest idea my background is or what my beliefs are, you'd probably realize I'm as anti-Government as anyone else here, and I like to think I've got the credentials to prove it.

Remember, just because I'm not a nut-bar doesn't automatically mean that I'm not afraid of what Uncle Pig can do. I've seen stuff first hand.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 147888
Canada
09/26/2006 12:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
They do have to practice those rape skills y'know!
V
User ID: 140243
United States
09/26/2006 12:25 AM
Report Abusive Post
Remember, just because I'm not a nut-bar doesn't automatically mean that I'm not afraid of what Uncle Pig can do. I've seen stuff first hand.

Well, remember then, that you're a "nut-bar" by association(unless you're here spying or spreading disinfo).

The nutbars of the world are very useful for forecasting the geo-political weather...not the complete picture, but a big part of it. They LOOK deeper than the soccer moms and blue hairs who live on SS checks.

The gov't has classified you as a terrorist if you are "against them."
Don't forget THAT, either.
nettiej127

User ID: 35428
United States
09/26/2006 12:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
Did anyone notice in the glp posts that our government had a surprise for us sometime in Oct?
[link to www.godlikeproductions.com]

[link to www.godlikeproductions.com]

[link to www.godlikeproductions.com] (Oct 5 protest march) what was the date from the first post again?

[link to www.godlikeproductions.com] Another Oct 5 post
love; is an illusion, everything else is real
nettiej127

United States
09/26/2006 12:59 AM
Report Abusive Post
holly shit..

Quoting: Prof-Rabbit

Anyone notice the Oct 5 protest post on glp
Abe Foxman
User ID: 147971
United Kingdom
09/26/2006 07:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
Practicing for the real thing soon? Maybe they want people to get used to the drills and then one day it ISN'T a "drill" and it's Red List round ups? Just a thought...
 Quoting: Dark Jester

It'll be Blue List round ups this time.

Bush haters®, Jew haters®, New Improved America® haters, 9/11 Holocaust Deniers®, peacenuts, and Moose Limbs beware!

flag waver
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 147978
United States
09/26/2006 07:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
Here's a picture of our t-shirts when I was in one of the units

[link to server6.theimagehosting.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 91487
United States
09/26/2006 08:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
The Marines have been planning -- and carrying out -- these urban exercises since about 2002. Inasmuch as most of the combat we see now and expect to see in the future is in cities (since that's where the people live), urban combat is probably the best way to train.

Here's an article from 2001:
[link to ww2.pstripes.osd.mil]

I mean, doesn't anyone keep up with military news any more?

Who is being trained? The marines, or the population?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 147988
United States
09/26/2006 08:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
A Marine Expeditionary Unit trained in my town a couple of years ago. I posted it here then, I’m in a little town of about 1600 people in West Virginia. They set up checkpoints on the roads in and out of town and also stopped you to tell you to slow down no matter how slow you were going every time you passed them. They also had patrols walking all over town for about a week. The patrols would also stop people and ask them if they could practice searching them. Same reason was used “training” I think it was to train us.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 94505
United States
09/26/2006 08:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
Protest Marches against Bush October 5th and now to read Marines plan urban exercises, sort of tie together, it seems. Are they practicing for something to happen here in the USA one day, I wonder. protest hmm
Anonymous Coward
United States
09/26/2006 08:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
time to schedule a vacation.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 147979
United States
09/26/2006 08:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
They do this then it's a small matter to do it to you for REAL. It's a DE-SENSITIZATION exercise, a MINDFUCK that is designed to lull the public into a stupor. Trust them to PROTECT you? Don't.
Prof-Rabbit

User ID: 147616
Australia
09/26/2006 08:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
holly shit..

Anyone notice the Oct 5 protest post on glp
 Quoting: nettiej127

I would be more worried about what happens on Oct. 6 !
You are a fluke of the universe.
You have no right to be here.
Whether you can hear it or not,
The universe is laughing behind your back

Deteriorata (National Lampoon)
Godot

User ID: 102797
United States
09/26/2006 10:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
My family used to sit in my front yard and watch domestic military exercises back in the late fifties and early sixties. We made a picnic out of it.

They were fun to watch, transports, tanks, paratroopers, fighters... all operating in mass,

This sounds like a non-event.
Yes it's safe, it's very safe, it's so safe you wouldn't believe it....
... No, it's not safe, it's very dangerous. Be Careful.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 148010
Sweden
09/26/2006 10:55 AM
Report Abusive Post
Don't forget Dumbkin Kuntz was the shill telling everyone that chemtrails were only contrails.

He/it is a fat ass rat bastard lying asshole>>PERIOD!

He is pure evil.
Slick - nli
User ID: 12462
United States
09/26/2006 11:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
It isn't exactly true that the local media has been silent about this exercise.

It was on all of the major networks last night, channels 6, 8 and 12. Mind you, last night was the first time this was mentioned.

The odd thing is...there is nothing but Army here. It is strange that the Marines are doing exercises here and not in northern VA or NC, where they have major training facilities and bases.
nettiej127

United States
09/26/2006 08:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
This is not a drill anon

GLP