The Sun is too BRIGHT these days

Mysticzephyr (nli)
User ID: 180437
United States
04/25/2007 12:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
The Sun is too BRIGHT these days
Anyone care to comment on the obvious? I cannot speak for you but I have found that current sunlight to be almost excessive these days. Ever notice you now can see much more with just moonlight? Even when it's just a crescent moon? How about seeing Venus or other neighbor planets..... don't they seem unusually brighter these days?

I've been noticing a progressive increase in visible light from the sun (also it feels hotter in a shorter time) than before last year at this time. I noticed it last summer and now it seems even more powerful now.

Any comments?
Uuggerr

User ID: 208843
United States
04/25/2007 12:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: The Sun is too BRIGHT these days
Anyone care to comment on the obvious? I cannot speak for you but I have found that current sunlight to be almost excessive these days. Ever notice you now can see much more with just moonlight? Even when it's just a crescent moon? How about seeing Venus or other neighbor planets..... don't they seem unusually brighter these days?

I've been noticing a progressive increase in visible light from the sun (also it feels hotter in a shorter time) than before last year at this time. I noticed it last summer and now it seems even more powerful now.

Any comments?
 Quoting: Mysticzephyr (nli) 180437

Do some research on scientific studies of the sun's surface temp and its visual light radiation and come back and post some links.

I would love to see if there is any scientific backing to what you have noticed, so let us know what you find out.

Peace
Dexter
User ID: 77653
United States
04/25/2007 12:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
I care to comment. I noticed this starting in 2003. I notice it more and more each year. I notice a nice HOT WHITE sun where my warm yellow orb used to be. All I can say is that it it's energy output, from the point of my observation (without scientific instruments) seems to be much hotter, seems to give off much more radiation (I burn faster), and seems much Brighter (I cant even briefly glance at the sun with dark dark shades on, it hurts even for a fraction of a second).

I do understand this as energetic radiance increasing. I dont have any words to explain or elaborate, its just a term that stands out in my head for some unknown reason. Rate of increase is also increasing, not quite exponentially yet, but if the increase rate does not slow down we will cross the threshold soon for rapid climbs. I hope humanity in general is ready by then, as there will certainly be a split between the physical and the non physical, as this place becomes physically uninhabitable (a place of neverending fire....).

Tons of fun, and re-seeding the need to wake the hell up, and pack it in, get ready for the next place, its time to go :)

Dex
Whatever
User ID: 1595
Netherlands
04/25/2007 12:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
I wonder whether the simultaneous bloom of nearly all plants,shrubs and trees is more due to increased Sun light,rather than higher average temps? Does that make sense?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 130373
United States
04/25/2007 12:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
Personally, I don't notice anything yes, mysticzephyr. But Jesus said there would be signs in the heavenly bodies, so something may be happening with the sun. But I think it will be more than just vague observations by a few, I believe when the signs Jesus spoke of happen, they will be noticed by all. I think some of the internet fringe sites are alarming people without being sure of their facts. Like Sherry Shriner, Zephnet, exodus2006, etc
JelloBiafra

User ID: 205458
United States
04/25/2007 12:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
wouldnt it stand to reason that if the sun were brighter to the naked eye, that we would all be toast right now. regardless if were bein pulled closer or the sun increasing in size........?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 130373
United States
04/25/2007 12:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
Good point, Jello
Mic

User ID: 228187
Germany
04/25/2007 12:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
There IS something wrong. We must realize that scientific proof is like asking the establishment to blow up the establishment. We must learn to trust our feelings again.

Regards

Mic
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 105508
United States
04/25/2007 12:46 PM
Report Abusive Post

Any comments?

1) Doesn't sound very scientific to me. Have you measured the brightness with any instruments and compared the results to measurements made several years ago?

2) How do I know you're not a troll?
SolarMax

User ID: 170485
United States
04/25/2007 12:50 PM
Report Abusive Post

Any comments?

The atmosphere has changed.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 228217
Switzerland
04/25/2007 12:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
*** BREAKING *** Climate: *** PROOF WMO and NOAA are lying about global climate data since October 2006 - presented worldwide first
[link to www.godlikeproductions.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 226710
Australia
04/25/2007 12:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
*** BREAKING *** Climate: *** PROOF WMO and NOAA are lying about global climate data since October 2006 - presented worldwide first
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 228217

Fuck off, Matt.

You're shit.
Uuggerr

User ID: 208843
United States
04/25/2007 01:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
The sun might be brighter, and whiter but..

[link to www.ucar.edu]

BOULDER—Changes in the Sun's brightness over the past millennium have had only a small effect on Earth's climate, according to a review of existing results and new calculations performed by researchers in the United States, Switzerland, and Germany.

-----------------------

Peace
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 226710
Australia
04/25/2007 01:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.ucar.edu]

BOULDER—Changes in the Sun's brightness over the past millennium have had only a small effect on Earth's climate, according to a review of existing results and new calculations performed by researchers in the United States, Switzerland, and Germany.

Quoting: State-Approved Scientific Article

jerkit
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 193306
United States
04/25/2007 01:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
I care to comment. I noticed this starting in 2003. I notice it more and more each year. I notice a nice HOT WHITE sun where my warm yellow orb used to be. All I can say is that it it's energy output, from the point of my observation (without scientific instruments) seems to be much hotter, seems to give off much more radiation (I burn faster), and seems much Brighter (I cant even briefly glance at the sun with dark dark shades on, it hurts even for a fraction of a second).
 Quoting: Dexter 77653

These are al signes of aging. The sun is NOT getting visibly brighter. All scientific studies indicate that the actual brightness of the sun has increased only 0.05% per decade. So over 30 years, that would be only 0.15%, which is hardly noticeable.
Sir_Chancealot

User ID: 164485
United States
04/25/2007 02:02 PM
Report Abusive Post

Any comments?

LOTS of people on GLP have noticed this, but "debunkers" always chime in and say you "have no evidence".

Think of it this way: If 30-50 people said they saw a zebra run across 5th Avenue in New York City, but "scientists" said "There aren't any zebras outside of zoos in New York City", which would you believe?

Yes, the sun has gone from golden yellow to white. Any person with eyes, older than 25, and cares to look up can determine this. (Older than 25, because they will remember back when the sun was golden-yellow). Watch the sunbeams come into a house that is a little dusty. Notice how they are white now, instead of golden like they used to be.

Notice how much quicker you get hot when in the sun.

Notice how much quicker you sunburn than you used to.

Don't listen to these debunker idiots.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 228248
Germany
04/25/2007 02:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yes, the sun has gone from golden yellow to white. Any person with eyes, older than 25, and cares to look up can determine this. (Older than 25, because they will remember back when the sun was golden-yellow). Watch the sunbeams come into a house that is a little dusty. Notice how they are white now, instead of golden like they used to be.

Quoting: Sir_Chancealot

Yep, I agree.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 171782
United States
04/25/2007 02:21 PM
Report Abusive Post

Any comments?

Quoting: SolarMax

Truth
The sun hasn't changed.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 169657
United States
04/25/2007 02:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
this is utter bullshit. i just went and stared at the sun for 15 minutes. not only is the sun actually darker now, everything seems to be. may i raise ye ol' flag:

bsflag
Anonymous Coward
United States
04/25/2007 02:59 PM
Report Abusive Post

Any comments?

LOTS of people on GLP have noticed this, but "debunkers" always chime in and say you "have no evidence".

Think of it this way: If 30-50 people said they saw a zebra run across 5th Avenue in New York City, but "scientists" said "There aren't any zebras outside of zoos in New York City", which would you believe?

Don't listen to these debunker idiots.
 Quoting: Sir_Chancealot

In other words, you have no real evidence. Don't you think that if what you claim were happening, that there would be LOTS of measurements and evidence the world over that the sun was actually brighter? Can you find ANY credible scientific measurements that show it to be significantly more than the 0.05% per decade widely acknowledged in the science community?
from g
User ID: 228281
United States
04/25/2007 03:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
World and universe are not to understand with science but with mind, heart and spirit...

I hope we do not be fired like challenger in a two years, sun is very more hot... at 5pm hottest, earlier times it was high rise and hottest at 12 o clock...
Anonymous Coward
United States
04/25/2007 03:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
World and universe are not to understand with science but with mind, heart and spirit...

I hope we do not be fired like challenger in a two years, sun is very more hot... at 5pm hottest, earlier times it was high rise and hottest at 12 o clock...
 Quoting: from g 228281

Can someone translate?
I Wish
User ID: 415
United States
04/25/2007 03:57 PM
Report Abusive Post

Exactly. Did you ever see the movie "Robocop"?
Remember the commercial for the tanning lotion?
That's where we are headed.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 223874
United States
04/25/2007 04:10 PM
Report Abusive Post

That was exactly what I thought before I read your post. Lately here in SoCal at around 8pm I look up at the sky and EVERYTHING seems brighter--the most obvious being Venus.

The upside of all of this is the it's really beautiful to look at, especially during the violet hour.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 88145
United States
04/25/2007 06:32 PM
Report Abusive Post

That was exactly what I thought before I read your post. Lately here in SoCal at around 8pm I look up at the sky and EVERYTHING seems brighter--the most obvious being Venus.

The upside of all of this is the it's really beautiful to look at, especially during the violet hour.
 Quoting: §mithjones

Venus is bright right now because it's geometrical position has it presenting a gibbous face to use. Most of the time it is more of a crescent and therefore not as bright.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 228349
United States
04/25/2007 06:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
this past weekend with 80 degree temps and clear skis
made five more people remark how the sun was larger
than normal,hotter than normal,and setting to far north
for April--hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!
planetbarb

User ID: 223658
United States
04/25/2007 06:49 PM
Report Abusive Post

Yep, I agree.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 228248

RE The sun now appearing to be "white." I'm 63 so this is real to me. I do remember the sun as bring golden yellow.
I don't have any scientific data to post here on the actual increase...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 227708
United States
04/25/2007 06:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
here's your answer from the UCLA Astrophysics lab

Things Are Heating Up

We tend to think of our Sun as a paragon of stability. While other stars pulsate, go nova, collapse, or bubble and churn like overheated pots of oatmeal, Sol provides us with steady, dependable radiance. Of course there are variations, such as the 11 year sunspot cycle, but these are predictable and benign.

Recent evidence, however, suggests that we don't know all there is to know about the nearest star. Drs. David Gray (University of Western Ontario) and William Livingston (Kitt Peak) have been studying the Sun's temperature with a technique that compares the strength of absorption lines in the solar spectrum. Gray finds that in addition to a fluctuation of 1.5 degrees Kelvin over the 11-year cycle, the temperature of the sun is steadily increasing by 0.014 degrees/yr.

Of course, this doesn't mean that the Sun will just continue to heat up. The observed change may just be part of a much longer cycle. During the 17th to mid-18th centuries, astronomers noticed a complete absence of sunspots and geological records show that the Earth's temperature dropped by 1 to 2 degrees during that time. This may not seem like much, but it was enough to freeze the Thames river and shorten Europe's growing season, causing famine in many countries.

Gray notes that other stars also show this behaviour. In fact, two thirds of measured stars have variations an order of magnitude larger than those of the Sun - 15 degrees over cycle instead of 1.5 . Other stars, such as Tau Ceti and Eta Cephei, show no detectable temperature changes.

What is unique about our Sun is that temperature, luminosity, and magnetic activity are all linked: a drop in one means an immediate drop in the other two. In other stars, such as Beta Comae, the temperature begins to rise 3 years after we see the magnetic activity pick up. Cooler Epsilon Eradini has a gap of only 0.3 years. By this scheme, the Sun should have a lag of about 2 years, contrary to the simultaneous changes we observe.

Gray believes that fluctuations of this type are almost certainly due to the activity of dynamos which power the magnetic fields of cool stars. Researchers are currently trying to build a database to understand why stellar dynamos sputter and cough in this way.

What does this kind of variablity mean for the Earth's climate? It is possible that the current trend is partly responsible for the global warming - although this doesn't mean we can keep polluting the atmosphere. The greenhouse gases emitted by industry only serve to amplify any other warming effect. However, more research is necessary before we can say whether this small rise in the temperature of the Sun will continue, or will have any effect on us. Gray, for one, is interested in obtaining data over a longer time to see if this rise continues or flattens out in the long run.

Denise Kaisler

[link to www.astro.ucla.edu]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 228317
Switzerland
04/25/2007 06:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hey Fools, this is the simple truth why the only consequence of Earth to Sun distance change so far was a 1.5° C temperature rise

[link to www.goldismoney.info]
In
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 88145
United States
04/25/2007 06:54 PM
Report Abusive Post

Yep, I agree.

RE The sun now appearing to be "white." I'm 63 so this is real to me. I do remember the sun as bring golden yellow.
I don't have any scientific data to post here on the actual increase...
 Quoting: planetbarb

And that's the bottom line, isn't it? There is NO data to support your contention. I'm 48 and DO NOT remember the sun being less bright. I've been in the television production business for 30 years and we use the same outdoor brightness and color temperature settings as we did in the 1970's. There has been no observations of a "brighter sun" in any of the professional photographic or video magazines I've been reading for 30 years. The film emulsions are the same. The white balance equations in digital cameras and video cameras are the same.

Unless someone can produce some measured historical data, I consider this a dead issue.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 223306
United States
04/25/2007 06:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
OP you could stand being a little brighter

GLP