Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,039 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,086,238
Pageviews Today: 1,961,707Threads Today: 869Posts Today: 15,098
10:09 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Is anyone else getting an unusual amount of electrical sparks when opening car doors?

Sparky
User ID: 225123
Finland
05/11/2007 06:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Is anyone else getting an unusual amount of electrical sparks when opening car doors?
If so, any ideas why?
(something more than just static electricity please)

lflash
Butthole

User ID: 225324
United States
05/11/2007 06:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Is anyone else getting an unusual amount of electrical sparks when opening car doors?
earth changes
User ID: 194249
United States
05/11/2007 06:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Is anyone else getting an unusual amount of electrical sparks when opening car doors?
Yes sir, I've noticed this too. It's unusually dry here in the Southeast for this time of the year. Must be global warming. hiding
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 235005
United States
05/11/2007 06:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
yes, me! i hated it and couldn't find out why. but check your socks. did you buy new socks? socks now-a-days are made with spandex and nylon with cotton being less than 50% of the sock. the rubbing will cause static. i found that if i wore plain cotton socks, it went away.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 159980
United States
05/11/2007 06:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
yes - very much - i've never had shocks in humid weather before this year - it's odd
Butthole

User ID: 225324
United States
05/11/2007 06:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
dont drag your feet while wearing a wool jumpsuit with a windbreaker or you may combust.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 235257
Canada
05/11/2007 06:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yes ever since I bought my car in 2004. This car gives wicked shocks. I was told it was because of the cloth seats. I bought a static bar which helps but does not
completely eliminate the shocks.
Sparky (OP)
Finland
05/11/2007 06:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
yes, me! i hated it and couldn't find out why. but check your socks. did you buy new socks? socks now-a-days are made with spandex and nylon with cotton being less than 50% of the sock. the rubbing will cause static. i found that if i wore plain cotton socks, it went away.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 235005

could be, but mostly i wear cotton socks i think.
Sparky (OP)
Finland
05/11/2007 06:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yes sir, I've noticed this too. It's unusually dry here in the Southeast for this time of the year. Must be global warming. hiding
 Quoting: . 194249

Yes its very comfortable to blame everything on global warming these days =)

hiding
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 235238
United Kingdom
05/11/2007 06:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
I was getting a electric shock when I touched the body of our car over the last few days.Today I was feeling uncomfortable,it was wet and windy.Suddenly there was a flash of lightening and a huge bang of thunder.All the charge has gone now and the weather has cleared.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 226849
United States
05/11/2007 06:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
yup, we had more lightning storms at my house today in florida, but just a few tiny sprinkles of rain, big bolts from the sky. lflash i could feel the electricity in my entire body.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 225509
United States
05/11/2007 06:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
Burst Details
GRB ID GRB 070508A
Mission Swift
Date 2007/05/08
Time 04:18:17 UTC
Coordinates
Right ascension 20:51:07
Declination -78:22:05
Galactic Lon. 314.88°
Galactic Lat. -32.42°
Constellation of Octans
Detecting Mission : Swift
Optical Afterglow
An unfiltered afterglow at a magnitude of 19.4 was seen 85 seconds after the burst
Burst Description
This was quite a burst!

The main emission of gamma rays lasted for about 50 seconds, and had about *20* bright peaks during the first 20 seconds. After that it faded, but emission was seen for about 800 second total, making this one of the longest bursts ever seen. The Japanese satellite Suzaku also detected the burst, as did the Konus-WIND experiment.

Source: [link to grb.sonoma.edu]
Amishism

User ID: 235113
United States
05/11/2007 07:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
we're hardly ever grounded

when we go out we wear rubber soul shoes, indoor we're not grounded either
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 234950
United States
05/11/2007 07:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
I've been experiencing this for the last couple of months here in Indiana.
John the Baptist (nli!)
User ID: 151085
United States
05/11/2007 07:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
This has been happening to me in Seattle for maybe 5 or 6 weeks?

Constantly getting static electric shocks...even been getting two jolts one right after the other, and I've never had that happen before.

Any serious ideas/theories? Any scientific types want to explain this? But in that explanation, you must also explain why, in 45 years of life, I've never had two shocks in a row before, but now they're fairly common.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 74018
United States
05/11/2007 07:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
Keep a hold of the metal on your car door as you step out and make contact with the ground, the charge will be discharged to earth.
Sparky (OP)
Finland
05/11/2007 07:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
I actually have a little theory for this phenomena but it is a little far fetched.

I have often read about "releasing resistance" (e.g. as in emotional issues) in various spiritual writings and started to wonder if this actually has implications for electrical resistance also (it's a long shot, i know). Since if the electrical resistance of the human body was lowered it would more easily allow for discharges through it.

It would be nice to have a study of the body resistances of spiritual masters. lol
observant
User ID: 110457
United States
05/11/2007 07:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
YES!!
Every time I get out of the car, no matter what I wear and also in all weather -- warm or cool, in humid, damp, and rainy conditions as well as dry.

Been pretty intense off and on for 2 years now. Had stopped for a while but began again about 10 days ago.

I live in south NJ
Duncan Kunz

User ID: 225222
United States
05/11/2007 07:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
If so, any ideas why?

Quoting: Sparky 225123

What other explanation do you have in mind other than static electricity? I notice sparks when it's dry and cold and less or none at any other time; that sounds like static electricity to me.
Where's the EVIDENCE, Jim?
Heya
User ID: 162439
United States
05/11/2007 07:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
chuckle

[link to www.youtube.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 74018
United States
05/11/2007 07:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
If so, any ideas why?

What other explanation do you have in mind other than static electricity? I notice sparks when it's dry and cold and less or none at any other time; that sounds like static electricity to me.
 Quoting: Duncan Kunz

But, but...but, he was moving at the time!!!

:legless:
Duncan Kunz

United States
05/11/2007 07:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
This has been happening to me in Seattle for maybe 5 or 6 weeks?

Constantly getting static electric shocks...even been getting two jolts one right after the other, and I've never had that happen before.

Any serious ideas/theories? Any scientific types want to explain this? But in that explanation, you must also explain why, in 45 years of life, I've never had two shocks in a row before, but now they're fairly common.
 Quoting: John the Baptist (nli!) 151085

I think no one but you could come up with a good explanation, inasmuch as you're in the position to measure the temperature and relative humidity, the makeup of your clothes and the car seat covering, the speed at which you slide off the seat, how well the door-handle is grounded, etc.

All of those are variables which you'd have to take into account to determine if it's static electricity.

If you determine through a bunch of measurements that the electric shocks are correlated to the temperature and humidity, you'd probably need to measure the power (I'd assume high voltage and low current) to see if it follows the regime of static electricity.

If it doesn't, then you'd want to look elsewhere for your explanation.

Sounds pretty complicated, I know; but without actual measurements -- and a lot of them, and accurate measurements, too -- you'll never have anything to present but opinions.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 205904
United States
05/11/2007 07:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yeah I have been over the past several months...a lot of days it is powerful enough to feel like getting cut with a knife.
Duncan Kunz

United States
05/11/2007 07:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 235005

Excellent point!
Morbid Jane

User ID: 190452
United States
05/12/2007 12:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
You have steel-belted tires. Use your elbow to absorb the shock instead of your hand. Also, check to see if your steel belts are starting to show thru your tires. You may need a new set.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 235292
Australia
05/12/2007 01:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
Keep a hold of the metal on your car door as you step out and make contact with the ground, the charge will be discharged to earth.
 Quoting: 4by2

alien16 Goofy Thum

Do this before you fill the tank. EVERYTIME.
magicfairy

User ID: 233777
United States
05/12/2007 01:38 AM
Report Abusive Post
I also affect electric things, street lights, shop computors besides the static electricity between me and objects..... somedays I walk round causing my own indoor storms.
so this is it!!!!!!
femto

User ID: 235394
United Kingdom
05/12/2007 01:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
I also affect electric things, street lights, shop computors besides the static electricity between me and objects..... somedays I walk round causing my own indoor storms.
 Quoting: MagicFairy

Not that cautious . Feed back cautious.
Love x
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 235396
United States
05/12/2007 01:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
it must be charles lindburgs fault!
magicfairy

User ID: 233777
United States
05/12/2007 02:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
I have noticed that it was worse in the old cold wet country, that here in the new hot dry country..

i can remember when working as a nurse getting static electricity while making beds, by the time I had finished it was so bad I jumped each time

Also, earlier, my step-daughter was very angry cus her phone would not work, the computor and the TV went on a epi.....
so this is it!!!!!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 231946
United States
05/12/2007 02:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
If so, any ideas why?

lflash
 Quoting: Sparky 225123

It has been getting more intense and you will see that last year there were several threads posted on this. What many do not know is the fact that as this magnetic field of ours continues to decline and subsequently flip polarity, it is theorized that the sparks you are feeling today will severely burn or kill you. Even to the extent that these sparks may be able to jump further and will be packing some serious amperes when it strikes. Blown off arms, charcoaled tissue fibers etc are not without reason either...

GLP